Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Yesenia's Surprise 30th Birthday Party!

Last weekend, all of the family got together and threw a surprise birthday party for my sister Yesenia who's turning 30 this year. She is such an amazing person and does so much for everyone, so.... we decided to throw her a surprise birthday party for her 30th birthday! We decided to throw her off and make her think we had forgotten about her birthday and all made Memorial Day weekend plans. It worked! She was bumming that we weren't planning anything big, after all it is her 30th! Lionel said she was kind of sad, so that made things even harder for me! I'm awful at keeping a surprise quiet, especially when I know it's going to cause happiness! But I did great, and played my part perfectly. I bought her favorite cake from Fred Meyer - lemon cake, with raspberry filling and a white chocolate crust. Delicious!! I also made her strawberry cupcakes with a calla lily on each one.  Calla lilies are her favorite flower, so I wanted to tie in her favorite things into the theme.  Her husband bought Panda Express catering for all the guests, and planned the whole thing. He's a pretty awesome guy. My sister in law Christina helped with all the decorations and miscellaneous party purchases. The night before the party I went to Christina and Omar's house to decorate. I decided to stick with her birth year theme. It was nice - we decorated with MTV logos and PostIt Notes, and played songs from her year. We hung up Your 30! decorations all over the walls and hanging from the ceiling.  It was also the year the Personal Computer was first available to the general public.  Lol.  It was actually pretty funny. I loved that everyone was able to show up and be a part of my amazing sister's party. I had to work on the day of the surprise party, so I missed the actual "surprise" but it was recorded for me :) and it was so funny! She was first surprised by all of her friends and siblings. She was excited and happy and very surprised. Then my brother told her he had one more surprise, took her around the corner and out from behind the wall popped out my parents and little siblings. She hugged them and tears fell from her face as they shouted "sorpresa!" it was so nice. She had no idea that we made plans for them to come up just for her party.  That made things even more special, because they don't get to come up as often as we'd like.  Kort and I made a video of pictures of her growing up and going through the stages of life. Getting those pictures was not easy, since I had to go through her computer while she wasn't looking to get them, lol.  It was beautiful to see all the people who love her enjoying this day with her. I love you sis!

No comments:

Post a Comment